THE HISTORY OF SEVENTY SIX

Seventy Six, Kentucky, is an area of northern Clinton County that takes in several other small communities. The area from the Cave Springs Baptist Church eastward to the 76 Falls Country Club and south of Lake Cumberland is generally known as "Seventy Six''. This includes the communities of Fairland and Aaron's Chapel as well as Grider Hill Dock.

The Seventy Six voting precinct, established in 1913, takes in most of the area, though 76 Falls is in the Snow precinct.

76 Falls Country Club, a nine-hole golf course established in 1967 and successfully resurrected in 2025, was named for the falls, less than a mile away. It will be the host site for the concerts on Friday, July 3rd and Saturday July 4th. A fireworks show will follow the Chris Knight concert at the Country Club on Saturday night.

Activities and events are scheduled at two churches in the community: Mount Union Christian Church and Seventy Six Baptist Church, which was founded June 29, 1822, making it the second oldest church in Clinton County. At the time, it was in Cumberland County. Clinton County was created in 1835.

Decades ago, there was years ago a village called Seventy Six on the banks of the Mississippi River in Missouri. It was long ago obliterated and abandoned, and no longer exists. There are townships in Kansas and Iowa named Seventy-Six, but they are admimistrative creations; all land in those states lies in a township. Therefore, the only true place named Seventy Six in the United States is in Clinton County. What better place to celebrate the Spirit of Seventy Six in the only place named Seventy Six in America?

Spirit of 76 Celebration honors Clinton County veterans; two earned the Medal of Honor

Many early Clinton County pioneers were Revolutionary War soldiers who received land grants in recognition for their service. They are too many to mention.

Several Cumberland countians (there was no Clinton at the time) served in McNair's Regiment in the War of 1812. Captain William Cross of Stockton Valley commanded a company of local men.

Sam Bell Maxey and many others served in the Mexican War. Maxey graduated from the United States Military Academy, one of only two Clinton Countians to do so, the other being Michael DeForest, whose roots through the Staton family go back to Seventy Six. Maxey later moved to Texas where he was a Brigadier General (C.S.A.) and later served two terms in the U.S. Senate.

Thomas E. Bramlette
Most of Clinton County was of Union sentiment during the Civil War, with the most prominent Union men being Clinton native Colonel (and later Governor) Thomas E. Bramlette, who had moved from Albany to Columbia in the early 1850s but was sitting as circuit judge for the area when the war began. On July 29, 1861, Bramlette gave a stirring speech in Albany on behalf of the Union, and many men enlisted as a result.

John Allen Brents was an officer in the First Kentucky Cavalry and would write a book, Patriots and Guerrillas, which was very pro-Union in sentiment and made him a marked man by the Confederate guerrilla Champ Ferguson, who would periodically wreak havoc in the county. Col. William A. Hoskins was living in Clinton at the beginning of the war, and he commanded the 12th Kentucky Infantry. George W, Burchett was a member of the honor guard for the funeral of Abraham Lincoln in 1865.
 
Captain E.M. Shelley of Clinton County commanded a troop which included many Clinton Countians in the Spanish-American War.

The most famous hero of World War I, Sgt. Alvin C. York, was born just a few miles south of Clinton County. York did his banking business at Citizens Bank of Albany. 

Corporal James Herbert Cannon was killed in France on October 1918, and on July 12, 1920, the Cannon Post #135 of the American Legion was formed in Albany. Its 16 charter members were Oscar Dyer, William H. Nunn, Oscar B. Conner, Porter H. Dyer, Herbert Hopkins, Newman L. Morgan, Herbert Pittman, Reed Cox, Belden Carr, Ottie Cummings, John B. Grider, Alva Tompkins, Beldon Pierce, M.A. (Crow) Brummett, James W, Parrigin, and Walter F. Perdue.

Lt. Garlin Murl Conner
Garlin Murl Conner, raised on Indian Creek a few miles below Seventy Six Falls, may now be the most decorated American soldier of World War II, after being awarded the Medal of Honor over 70 years after the end of the war and 20 years after his death. Hundreds of local men and women served in that war. Clay Rector, whose father was an Albany barber, was on the U.S.S. Arizona when it was attacked at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and he remains entombed there.
 
Hundreds of other young men and women have served in the wars and conflicts which have occurred since the end of World War II, and many are in the service today, protecting our freedom. Let us always remember that the Spirit of Seventy Six Celebration owes its existence to those men and women who have served and are serving. We appreciate the local VFW chapter who have worked with us regarding this event. Hats off this day and every day to all of our servicemen and women, past and present.


Clinton County was home to another Medal of Honor winner.

Oliver Hughes was born in Fentress County, Tennessee, on January 21, 1844. At that time, Fentress abutted southeastern Clinton County. In 1860, Hughes was living in Clinton County. He enlisted in the Union Army at Albany in 1861. He was a Corporal in Company C, 12th Kentucky Infantry.

The 12th Kentucky was commanded by Colonel William A. Hoskins, a native of Garrard County who was living in Clinton County at the start of the war. Hoskins was a principal in the Nashville and Rowena Coal Co., which was mining coal on Short Mountain in Clinton County and sending it down the Cumberland River to Nashville. That enterprise failed, but after the war Hoskins, with new investors, formed the Poplar Mountain Coal Company, and they built a railroad from the top of Short Mountain down to the mouth of Indian Creek, where they shipped the coal down the river. Hoskins established the mining town of Cumberland City, five miles northeast of Seventy Six.

Many of the soldiers in the 12th Kentucky were from Clinton County. They included Capt. Martin Van Buren Duvall, who would die at the hand of Confederate terrorist Champ Ferguson after major hostilities had ceased, and his brother Lewis "Bug" Duvall, who survived the encounter with Ferguson. The 12th was involved in the first Civil War battle in Tennessee, the incident at Travisville in Fentress County on September 29, 1861.

Hughes was awarded the medal for capturing the colors of the 11th South Carolina (C.S.A.) at Town Creek, N.C., on Feb. 20, 1865. The medal was awarded to him on Aug, 1, 1865.

Hughes owned a 200-acre farm at Seventy Six downstream from 76 Falls on Browns Creek. He sold it on Oct. 26, 1867, to C.V. Wright and moved to Callao, Missouri, where he operated a saloon for many years. In 1903, he was charged with selling alcohol to minors but was tried and acquitted because, to quote one juror, the jury was afraid if they convicted him they "would have no place to drink." He made a race for town marshal but was defeated. He died Jan. 5, 1911, and is buried in the Old Callao Cemetery in Macon County. He was survived by his wife and four children. The farm that he owned was later owned by Marcus McFall, and most of it is believed to have been taken for the Lake Cumberland project.

The creation and development of the town of Seventy Six

The most prominent and noteworthy physical feature in Clinton County is the waterfall originally known as Big Indian Creek Falls.

John W. Semple moved to the falls area before 1810 (we find him in the area in the 1820 Census) and built a mill and shop. As the mill drew customers from a wide area, he undoubtedly felt that the location might be good for the establishment of a town around the falls. The closest villages were Creelsboro, across the Cumberland River from present-day Clinton County, and Paoli, south of present-day Albany. The closest county seats were at Burkesville to the west and Monticello to the east. Albany had not yet been established, as Clinton County was not created until 1836.

Semple served in the state legislature in 1806. At that time we believe he was living at "Mt. Radiance" on the Cumberland River in present-day Russell County. This is believed to have overlooked Horseshoe Bottom, which is now under the waters of Lake Cumberland.

Semple published a notice in 1817 that he intended to establish the town of Seventy Six. He had lots surveyed and Lot No. 76 was located near the Big Indian Creek Falls, so there is a belief that the falls received its name in that manner. There is also a school of thought that the height of the falls was estimated at 76 feet, and the name arose as a result thereof, but most sources estimate the height at 83 feet (before the impoundment of Lake Cumberland). A third school of thought is that it actually was based on the "Spirit of 76." It is possible that the name has more than one source.

Semple's dream of a town never materialized, and the Semples would ultimately leave Clinton County for the greener pastures of Illinois and California, where they made quite a mark:

·       Robert Baylor Semple was the first of the family to travel to California, in 1845, prior to the California Gold Rush. He founded the first newspaper in California and was chairman of the California Constitutional Convention in 1849. He made an unsuccessful race to be one of California's first United States senators.

·       John W. Semple Jr., 6'8" in height, was an attorney who practiced in Louisville after he practiced for several years in Clinton County. He left for California in 1849 with Will Semple Green and another Clinton Countian, Jannes Yates.

·       Will Semple Green, grandson of John W., was elected California state treasurer, serving in 1898-99. He was a newspaper editor and is referred to as "the father of irrigation" in California. His home has been restored and maintained in Colusa, a town founded by his uncle, Charles D. Semple, who made an unsuccessful race for Kentucky state representative in 1844, losing to F.H. Winfrey.

·       In a bit of an oddity, brother Robert Baylor Semple founded another city – the town of Benicia, California.

·       There is a record of John Semple Jr., Charles Semple, and Will S. Green boarding the steamer Portland in August 1849 in New Orleans to make the trip to the Isthmus of Panama where they would portage to the Pacific Ocean and sail to California.

·       James Semple, son of John W., was a U.S. senator from Illinois and also served as charge d'affaires (a top embassy position) in Colombia. He established the town of Elsah, Illinois. James' son Eugene Semple was the next-to-last governor of Washington Territory, in 1887-89, almost exactly the same period that Clinton County native Preston Leslie, governor of Kentucky 1871-75, was the next to last governor of Montana Territory.

The store near the Falls was sold to R.H. Kookindoffer, who later sold Lots 78, 79 and 90 of the platted town, and it was later sold to J.C. Staton for $170.00, who became Postmaster at Seventy Six. Five years prior, Kookindoffer had purchased a farm near Illwill Creek and was Postmaster at Green Grove in Clinton County, 1857-58. We are uncertain as to when the store at the falls finally closed. The mill remained open for many years and drew business from a broad area.

The family names of Ellison, Semple, Gist, Andrew and Goodson are found in the vicinity of Seventy Six but all those names are now gone from the rolls of Clinton County.

The Seventy Six Baptist Church is the second oldest church in the county, established on June 29, 1822 and still in operation today. Isaac Denton, long time pastor at Clearfork Baptist Church south of Albany, helped found the church. It became a member of the Stockton Valley Association upon formation. It was moved to its present location at the sinks of Indian Creek in 1864; see deed from Joseph Warinner in 1866 for a 4-acre tract, in exchange for a tract near "the graveyard". This cemetery is referred to as the "Seventy-Six Cemetery" in a prior deed. The original church site was located next to a graveyard located on the Raymond McFarland farm, now owned by Steve Burchett. There was once a Freedom Missionary Baptist Church on the Steve Burchett farm; it was consolidated with Seventy Six Baptist Church in 1868.

The Fairview Church tract was deeded from John Ellison to the church in 1877. It was referred to as being "on the "east side of the road leading from Graham Cross Roads to the town of Seventy-Six". Ellison owned a large tract of land in the area. Graham Cross Roads was where the post office and hamlet of Snow were located.

The Mount Union Christian Church had one acre deeded from W.H. Hammons near the "Guthrie Spring" in 1897 for purposes of building a church building. This church still thrives. When the Wells Bottom Christian Church closed the few remaining members transferred to Mount Union.


The Spirits of Seventy Six, and the rest of Clinton County

We have no idea what the whiskey distilleries at Seventy Six
looked like, so we're using this illustration from pngtree.com.
By David M. Cross

Something not generally well known in Clinton County is its history of distilling, and particularly in the community of Seventy Six.

Before Prohibition, whiskey was legally made in every community in Clinton County. Usually, in this part of the country, brandy was the alcoholic beverage produced. Brandy is alcohol distilled from fermented fruit juice, in this area usually apples or blackberries.

Stills were licensed by the federal government, and an inspector would come around every so often to inspect the stored whiskey and gauge the proof. These men were called “storekeepers and gaugers” and these were prized federal patronage appointees. A.B. Parrigin and Judge S.G. Smith were among those holding this position. (Full disclosure: My grandfather Al Cross operated a government-licensed still for several years in the Beaty community.)

When locals were arrested for violating federal tax laws (that’s why federal agents were called “revenuers”) they would be taken to an appointed United States commissioner, who would determine whether the case would go on to U.S. District Court, generally in Bowling Green. Locally, Judge J.A. Perkins, who has numerous descendants in Clinton County, was the commissioner for several years under Republican administrations.

William Sloan, known as "Wild Bill" locally, was for many years a deputy U.S. marshal who would form posses to assist revenue agents when they were seeking out local stills. Wild Bill had quite a reputation of his own, on both sides of the law. He was, to say the least, a very colorful character, as was his son-in-law. J.A. “Dean” Tompkins, sometimes an attorney and sometimes a defendant in the local courts. They, too, have numerous descendants remaining in the county.

According to various records that we can find, these distillers operated in the Seventy Six area:

W.H. Hammons & John Ryan

John Ryan: This still was over the hill behind Wayne Ryan's house. They made apple and blackberry brandy and there was a very large orchard on the Ryan farm furnishing the apples.

T.L. Davis: Bobby Johnson states that a Tom Davis distillery was located west of and over the hill from the Bobby Reneau house at the junction of KY 734 and KY 1266.

J.A. Warinner: The Warinners operated a large store at Seventy Six.

Walter Neathery, McKinley & Neathery, Tilford (Til) Neathery, Jarvis & Lawrence, William Prince & J.M. Davis: In 1907 Prince's still was seized by authorities. In 1910 Prince leased a tract in Seventy Six to Lewis A. York for distilling for eight years. Prohibition began in January 1920.

We find a published report that the following distillers, having been twice convicted for selling liquor in local-option territory, would be required to give a $500 bond “for their good behavior for the next 12 months": Thomas Lee, Richard McWhorter, Bill Prince, J .M. Davis, and Joe Griffin. These were at Seventy-Six and also at Huntersville, which was a hot spot for distilling and the site of several "line houses," shacks on the Tennessee border where whiskey was sold.

Warinners were leading family of Seventy Six for 70 years; store was reputed to be county's largest, and Ed Warinner was a man of progress

Young Ed P. Warinner with the wrecker advertising his Log Palace Inn in Albany. (Warinner family photo)
Iverson L. Warinner and his brother Joseph Warinner moved to the Seventy Six community from Rockhouse Bottom in Russell County just before the beginning of the Civil War. 

Iverson Warinner established a mercantile business at Seventy Six which for many years went under the name of I.L. Warinner and Son (J.A. Warinner). Iverson served in the Union Army and after the war was elected justice of the peace, or magistrate. He obtained the Seventy Six post office in 1890, during the administration of President Benjamin Harrison. The Warinners were strong Republicans, and so was Harrison. The office was moved from a location near 76 Falls. 

The store became the largest between Albany and the Cumberland River port of Creelsboro in Russell County. It is said that it was bigger than any store in Albany.

I. L. Warinner invested in the wholesale grocer Cumberland Grocery Co. and Cumberland Transportation Co., which owned steamboats that plied the Cumberland River unti11933. I.L. Warinner was also a director of Farmers National Bank of Somerset, which years later consolidated to become First and Fanners Bank and later purchased Citizens Bank of Albany. He also had a controlling interest in the Seven Gables Hotel, a landmark in Burnside before the town was flooded by Lake Cumberland. 

According to the New Era newspaper of May 31, 1907, two groups were attempting to start a second bank in Albany to compete with the Bank of Albany. One was headed by E.M. Cox, the Clinton County clerk, and the other was headed by Henry Wallace of Paint Lick and J.A. Warinner of Seventy Six. After a time, "the two movements became one," the Albany paper reported.

In the initial shareholder list of Citizens Bank, the following had 10 shares each: Wallace, I.L Warinner, J.A. Warinner, George Guinn of Albany, J.W. Long of Cartwright and the Russell brothers of Chanute, Tenn., just across the state line. Lesser stockholders included many other notables, including K.E. Huddleston, P.H. Smith, E.M. Cox, S.V. Brents, Charles Huff and W.M. Johnson of Forbus, Tenn., who was president. For a full list, see the Spirit of 76 Celebration Commemorative Program.

This bank was located in the building where Dyer Drug is now located, and the bank vault is still located therein. Iverson Warinner thereafter became president and served until his death. J.A. Warinner then served as president at different times and remained on the board of directors for many years until his death in 1943. The two banks consolidated in 1918 and became known as Citizens Bank of Albany and was located in the Bank of Albany building, now known by many as the Eddie Lovelace office. 

Ed Warinner also served as bank president, as did Leo Sewell, who was the son-in-law of Jim Warinner. His wife had died of tuberculosis in 1932. Jim Warinner had backed Sewell and others in the ill-­fated Dicken-Sewell & Co. store in Albany, and he suffered losses in that investment, as well as being affected by the end of Cumberland River transportation in 1933 and the overall poor economic conditions after 1929. 

After the death of Iverson Warinner in 1919, the business was known as J.A. Warinner and Son. The store remained open until after Jim Warinner's death in 1943. Edgar Dicken operated the store for five years until it burned February 26, 1950. Dicken then rebuilt a smaller store in front of the old store site, and he operated it there until 1960. 

The home of Jim Warinner, now known as the Dickerson house, still stands on KY 734 across from the old Warinner store site. 

The late Warinner Anderson of Watauga was descended from lverson's brother, Jasper Warinner. The Fount Warinner family, including long-time Clinton County High School Principal David Warinner, also descends from Jasper Warinner. Other descendants include long-time local educator Jerry Warinner Branham, State Police Detective Jason Warinner, and the lady who served more restaurant coffee than any other person in the history of Clinton County, Zora Warinner. Other descendants are far too numerous to name. 

The Warinner Family Cemetery on KY 734 in Seventy Six has recently been restored. Joseph Warinner, father of Iverson, is buried there.

Ed P. Warinner was born at Seventy Six, Ky., in 1909. The large log house near the family's store, which unfortunately was torn down in recent years, was the home of Ed's grandfather, Iverson L. Warinner. The large white house across the road known as the Dickerson house was the home of J.A. (Jim) Warinner, father of Ed.

Ed Warinner was the owner of a shoe store, the Log Palace Inn and the Albany Locker Plant, the latter two located across the street from the other at the intersection of Cross Street and Burkesville Road in Albany. 

Warinner was best known, however, for being a man of progress, and was a regular at any meeting regarding the growth and development of the area. He was a leading proponent of changing the Corps of Engineers' original name of "Wolf Creek Reservoir" to "Lake Cumberland," and was instrumental in KY 35 becoming US 127, and in establishing a roadside park at Seventy Six Falls where a historical marker honors him. He also served as president of the Citizens Bank of Albany. 

Warinner and Gov. Lawrence Wetherby held the ribbon as Vice President Alben Barkley cut it at the dedication of Wolf Creek Dam in 1951. Upon the election of state Sen. Terill Wilson as circuit judge for Clinton, Russell, and Wayne counties in 1951, Ed Warinner obtained the Republican nomination for Wilson's unexpired term and was unopposed for the position until his death in 1959. 

While in the state Senate, Warinner, as a member of the minority party, forged a strong relationship with the majority, including Gov. A.B. (Happy) Chandler. The efforts of Warinner and the late N.L. Morgan are credited with the late1950s street and sidewalk project that motorists and pedestrians in Albany still benefit from today. 

Warinner was also an early supporter of veterans' benefits and was a sponsor of the constitutional amendment which in 1955 made Kentucky only the second state in the Union to give 18-year-olds the right to vote. 

Warinner was chair of the Clinton County Republican Party for 12 years and a delegate to the party's national convention in 1952. He made an unsuccessful race for an open seat in Congress in 1954 and announced his candidacy for lieutenant governor in 1955 and 1959 but withdrew from both races, health issues having a bearing on his 1959 withdrawal. After it, party officials supported his wife Jo as the GOP nominee for state auditor. She was defeated in the November election, in which all statewide Democrats were elected.

Ed Warinner died suddenly at age 49 on June 20, 1959, at his home in Albany, which is known to most as the home of the late Judge Eddie Lovelace. Chandler came to Albany and spoke at his funeral. 

The family left Albany in the early 1960s and moved to Louisville, where Jo was employed in the administration of Jefferson County Judge Marlow Cook. Three of the Warinner children have passed: Paul, who attended Kentucky Military Institute and served in the military, played football at Morehead State, and coached football for many years; Joanne, who married Dave Sawyer of Albany and was director of admissions at Transylvania University; and Iverson, who was a longtime professor of theatre at Spalding University in Louisville. 

Ed Warinner has one surviving child, Harriet Hile, a retired teacher in the Spencer County school system who lives in Louisville. His descendants include Ed Warinner III, who served as offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator for the 2014 NCAA champion Ohio State Buckeyes and is now head coach at Avila University in Kansas City; and Stephen Sawyer, a renowned artist who lives in Versailles.

The Thomases of Seventy Six were singing stars for decades

Flossie and Reual Thomas (Berea College archive)
By David M. Cross

The family in Clinton County that may well have the greatest reputation for singing and making music is the Thomas family of Seventy Six.

The most noted member was Reual Thomas, a schoolteacher who originally headed the gospel group The Crusaders, formed in the 1930s.

This group consisted of Reual (lead) and his wife Flossie Garner Thomas (alto), their neighbor Leslie Andrew (baritone and guitar) of Seventy Six, and Marvin York (bass), also of Clinton County. They played at Renfro Valley during the peak of its popularity in the early 1940s.

The Crusaders, L to R: The Thomases, Leslie
Andrew and Marvin York (Berea College archive)
They also played on Renfro Valley owner John Lair's “more subdued, scripted radio programs such as Monday Night in Renfro Valley and the Renfro Valley Gatherin' until disbanding in 1944,” Berea College researcher Kevin Kehrberg wrote. “They were generally typical of Southern gospel quartets of the time. However, with both male and female members, their sound was more mild and rounded than all-male groups, then the majority in Kentucky’s gospel-quartet scene.”

From the collection of David M. Cross
To hear a recording of the Crusaders singing "I'll Wake Up in Glory Land," from the Digital Library of Appalachia, click here. The library has four other Crusaders recordings.

During this time Reual made a good race for Clinton County Clerk in 1937, losing to incumbent Logan Frost.

Reual organized the Four Tones in 1944 to replace The Crusaders. That group didn't stay together long, and two other groups in the region were using the name, Reual formed the Seventy Six Quartet in 1947. Members at times included Jeff and Clay Colson, Flossie Thomas, Leslie Andrew, and Morris Gaskins, later pastor at Clearfork Baptist Church. This group sang across Mid-America and for a time had a radio show on WLAP Radio in Lexington. 

Reual Thomas posed with the 1941 Buick brake drum that has
been struck at the end of every Renfro Valley Gatherin' since
1943, sounding like a church bell. (Berea College archives)
Reual became Renfro Valley owner John Lair's right-hand man and master of ceremonies of the Barn Dance in the 1950s. He “profoundly shaped many aspects of the sacred music programming and events sponsored by Renfro Valley for over 15 years during the organization's most successful period,” Kehrberg wrote. “Not only did he lead various quartets that performed on many of Renfro Valley's network radio programs, but he also organized many gospel music events (monthly singings, singing schools, quartet contests, an annual all-night and all-day sing) on the grounds of Renfro Valley that served the surrounding local and regional communities of Kentucky.”

The Digital Library of Appalachia has seven recordings of the Seventy Six Quartet, including "Did You Ever Go Sailing," sung on the Renfro Valley Gatherin' on Louisville's WHAS Radio on Feb. 28, 1951.

Reual Omer Thomas died in 1959, and Flossie died in 1963. They were the parents of Danny Omer Thomas of Seventy Six.

Noble Thomas was a teacher and country merchant who operated a store near what are known as the "Old Seventy" curves on the Grider Hill Dock Road. He taught singing schools in the community for years.

Brothers Maxie and Maurice Thomas led the singing for years at Mount Union Church. Local DJ Hank Snow Thomas has been playing music for 50 years.

Nearly every Thomas could sing, and that tradition is carried on at the Spirit of Seventy Six as Maxie Thomas' great-grandson, Thomas Oesterreicher, will be performing prior to the Colton Bowlin show on Friday night, July 3.

Additionally, to further carry on the tradition, Ryan Thomas and his group will be performing at the historic Seventy Six Baptist Church (founded 1822) on the afternoon of July 4.

The story of Grider Hill Dock is the story of the Sloans, their families, their friends and the Seventy Six community

Tony Sloan, dock operator extraordiaire
By David M. Cross

When Bruce Sloan established Grider Hill Dock on the Indian Creek embayment of Lake Cumberland in 1951, no one dreamed that tourism on the lake would grow to today's level. The reservoir had been created for flood control and hydroelectric power, and tourism was an ancillary consideration.

In the newly impounded waters, fishing was great, houseboats basically didn't exist, and a 10-horsepower motor was the biggest. Grider Hill rented more rowboats than anything. The busiest times of year were spring and fall, fishing seasons. Bruce maintained a good relationship with outdoor writers of newspapers in Louisville. Cincinnati and Nashville, and the dock quickly became a popular fishing spot. 

Bruce Sloan was a man of great vision, but some folks thought he was was crazy to build the beautiful Indian Creek Lodge (inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright) on land he didn't own. Bruce had been in numerous businesses including coal, timber and automobiles, and was such a great marksman that he did shooting exhibitions for Remington Arms. He was elected sheriff of Clinton County in 1941 and prior to that had been Albany mayor and served three terms in the Kentucky legislature. He was a man who saw so far ahead of his time that at times he saw too far and the world took too long to catch up with him. 

After Bruce's untimely death in 1963, the Sloan family dedicated itself to managing and growing the dock. Boats and motors were getting bigger, and houseboats were becoming popular. Ski boats became all the rage. The growing dock took a lot of attention, so Tony Sloan quit teaching school to manage it. A few years later his wife Bettye did the same to help manage the lodge and restaurant. Ned Sloan Sr. and his wife Jimmie also dedicated themselves to the dock, as did the entire Sloan family. Tony and Bettye worked first shift, Ned and Jimmie the second . 

The restaurant at the lodge became legendary for its country cooking with its country ham and fried chicken. Most of the cooks were from Seventy Six: ladies such as Ella Ryan, Carmi Simpson, Marie Daniels, and sisters Ruby Davis and Reba Brown. Jimmie's sister Laura Ann Tallent, experienced in the restaurant business, became a key figure in the kitchen. Laura Ann, a tireless worker, came up with the peanut butter pie recipe for which the restaurant became famous. The quality of the dining experience was always high as long as the Sloans owned the dock. 

If you lived in Seventy Six, it is very likely that some of of your family members worked at the Grider Hill. Long-term employees included Glenn Brown. Karen Groce, Jim and Joyce Conner and Gran and Polly Hopkins and their daughter Bertha. Tony Sloan said Gran Hopkins had the best hand-eye coordination of any man he ever saw. The "Round Man" excelled at anything he tried and was as dependable as the sun rising in the morning.

Grider Hill Dock remained a family operation for over 50 years, but as years passed the family realized that it was time to sell, and they did so in 2007. It is now operated by Safe Harbor, a company that owns several docks on Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow. However, Tony Sloan did not leave the dock business. 

ln 1970 Tony put together a group to obtain the lease for Conley Bottom Dock on Lake Cumberland in Wayne County. That dock was greatly expanded and thrived as Conley Bottom Resort. Tony maintained controlling interest until he sold out to his partner in 2019.

Tony and his investors purchased a small dock on Dale Hollow Lake in 1993 and under the leadership of Tom and Angela Allen transformed it into Sunset Resort, now the leading dock on Dale HoJlow. It was recently expanded.

Finally, Tony started working on what could be called his greatest legacy, one that has had tremendous positive impact on the local economy: Marina at Rowena.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had originally proposed a dock at the Rowena location in their Lake Cumberland Master Plan of 1949 but nothing had ever been done there. Tony, with the help of his able partner Tom Allen, persistently battled the bureaucracy for years and finally in 2017 Marina at Rowena, on the south side of the main lake, opened to the public.

A full-service marina, it has thrived since its opening and continues to grow, with a 2026 expansion that will more than double its number of private slips. To reach the new part of the resort, you turn on an access road that is fittingly named Tony Sloan Way, for the visionary who proved to be the best dock man in the Southeast. He died on April 1, 2025, but his legacy lives on.

One of the April 3, 1974, tornadoes devastated Seventy Six

The park and church were destroyed.
The tornado of April 3, 1974, was so devastating in Clinton County that when people refer to it, only "April 3rd" needs to be said.

Tornadoes ravaged areas from Tennessee to Ohio on that fateful evening. It was the greatest outbreak of F5 tornadoes in America's recorded history. A total of 148 tornadoes were confirmed on that single day.

Twin funnels entered the county at Green Grove, then crossed through Ida into the Seventy Six Falls area and continued on through Piney Woods, crossing KY 558. Eight people were killed in Clinton County, including Effie Wells, 64, who lived in a brick house within sight of Seventy Six Falls. She was the mother of Holland Wells.

Homes destroyed in the community included those of J.S. Andrew, Rudy Thomas, and Frank Summers. The Ida community was devastated. The home of Jimmy Hicks was destroyed, as was the nearby home of Cletis Boils, where three people died.

Had the area been more heavily populated, the loss of life would almost certainly have been much greater. As it was, Clinton County lost 0.1% of its population, a greater rate than any April 1974 community in Kentucky except Meade County, where 31 died.

The Mount Union Christian Church building was leveled. The Andrew home above the falls was lifted from its foundation and turned sideways, yet its occupants escaped unharmed. Rudy Thomas, who lived on the hill east of the falls, suffered a broken back but miraculously survived.

Debris from the Frank Summers home at Seventy Six was found more than 50 miles away.

The roadside park at the falls, then operated by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, was completely destroyed. It took several years for the park to be rebuilt, and it is now maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Mount Union Church rebuilt much more quickly, and its new building was rededicated in 1975.

This day will never be forgotten by those who lived through it.

John G. Woodrum of Seventy Six lived the American Dream

John G. Woodrum in front of his casino in Las Vegas
By David M. Cross

In 2013 Clinton County lost one of its most successful native sons, John Woodrum. However, if you were from Clinton County, you called John by a different name; here he was "J.G." And if you called, he would always answer.

J.G. Woodrum was a Fairlander, through and through. He was raised down at the end of what is now called Woodrum Road. His parents, Loren and Golsie Woodrum, were not people of great means but were certainly respected folks of good character. After quitting school and enlisting in the National Guard, J .G. made his way back to high school where he was one of Coach Lindle Castle's first Bulldogs. After the 1958 season, J.G. was too old to play, but he hung around as an unofficial motivator/confidante/ traveling companion of the only Bulldog team to ever reach the Sweet Sixteen. Along the way he did a little bit of everything for Coach Castle and the team, including driving the team bus on occasion.

That's the first amazing thing about J .G. Woodrum. While still attending high school, he drove a school bus. They say it's an arrangement that his mother Golsie made with the superintendent, after the regular driver suffered a heart attack, to help him to complete high school. It was a way for him to afford to go to school, as well as his mode of travel. He parked the bus at the Woodrum house each night and picked up the children of Seventy Six and Fairland along the route, taking them to school. And ever since those high school days, he was picking folks up all along his route in life, helping them out in some manner to try and help them on their journey. 

J.G. was a member of that storied CCHS Class of 1960 (and prided himself on personally sponsoring three of their class reunions), a class which arguably was closer than any other class in school history. J.G. and a high-school classmate headed out to California in 1963, got as far as Las Vegas, and ran out of money. Or maybe they ran out of money on the way back. Anyway, they did run out of money, and Vegas was as far as they got. It is said they sold the tires off the car, then sold the car.\

The classmate moved on after a few months, but J.G. stayed, becoming known as John Woodrum. He was a master storyteller. He would tell people in Vegas that he left Kentucky with the carnival at age 14 and ended up in Vegas. John would tell a lot of things out there; after all, Vegas is a town based on entertainment. His large frame, great personality and warm smile and handshake won him both friends and respect from those he met in Vegas, including Sam Boyd, who John worked for from 1963 until Boyd, one of Vegas's heaviest hitters, helped the Kentuckian go into business for himself.

John Woodrum was recognized throughout Las Vegas, not just as the owner of the former Klondike Casino, which he bought in 1976 for $1 million and sold in 2006 for many times that figure; not just, as one columnist wrote, as the man who knew more stories of old Las Vegas than anyone; but also as the entrepreneur who had sense enough to run power to re-light the now famous "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign in front of the Klondike at the end of the Strip. It was to become the most recognized landmark in Vegas. If not for him, it quite likely would have just faded away.

When Jerry Tarkanian coached basketball at UNLV, John Woodrum was one of his biggest supporters, so close that when the NCAA exiled "Tark the Shark" from the program, they did the same to John. Apparently, his old practice of picking people up was viewed as being in violation of NCAA rules.

J.G. loved to see the home folk come to Vegas. If you were from Clinton County, he certainly treated you special out there. But he had a way to make everyone feel special. J.G. used his rural raising in Kentucky as an advantage, not as an excuse. He learned how to deal with people, and to appreciate people, big and small, but with love for the little people. He learned to follow through and do what you said, a trait not always found in Vegas. He always kept his heart in Clinton County, even though his feet were elsewhere.

He was one of Seventy Six's finest expatriates, and there are several who could share that title. Others yet to be raised here will continue to rise and achieve success, in some place far larger than the many professionals, entrepreneurs, and business executives are now scattered around America but still call Clinton County their home.

Google Map
It is so unfortunate that so many rural children educate themselves "right out of Clinton County," for that is where the greater opportunities lie. That's just the way it is. However, the J. G. Woodrum success story, as well as the stories of those who have chosen to return home and succeed, should help motivate our young people to see what they too can achieve when they put their mind to it.

J.G. Woodrum came from a large, poor family that lived at the end of their road in rural Clinton County, which now bears the name Woodrum Road. But that road was not a dead end for him. It was the beginning of his long, colorful, interesting and successful journey down the road of life. He traveled a long, hard road, but in his journey, he learned something every step of the way and used it to help him achieve success, and to help others along the way. This is the story of The American Dream, fulfilled and achieved, by a country boy from Seventy Six who never forgot where he came from.

Eddie Paul Coop, the Big Wheel, and the Sad Hammer
Eddie Paul Coop, right, shakes hands with Rep. Hal Rogers in 1982
as Mitch McConnell, then Jefferson County judge-executive, looks
 on. Coop was county Republican chairman. (Clinton County News)

It’s hard to believe that The Big Wheel has been dead for 20 years.

When you mention The Big Wheel, a lot of older folks in Clinton County immediately know who you’re referring to. For the younger people who don't, you sure did miss quite an experience. The Big Wheel was a memorable character.

Eddie Paul Coop was born and raised in Seventy-Six. Except for a few years living in Casey and Russell counties, where he worked at the radio stations there, he was a lifetime Seventy-Sixer.

E.P. was named for Senator Ed P. Warinner, another native of Seventy Six. That may have helped pique his interest in politics, and he sure stayed interested in them for his entire life. His father, a local constable, tragically died in a shootout when Eddie Paul was only a year old.

For all his adult life, Eddie Paul was a radio man. He hosted morning shows on the Russell Springs, Albany and Burkesville stations, and always had a following. His memorable line was, “It’s time to roll and go.” For years he referred to his constant companion, his dog Tadpole, as being by his side.

Eddie Paul was certainly creative, as well as entertaining. He authored one of the funniest Kentucky Derby fictional race calls, with jockeys aboard, which played locally every Derby Day, with Herman “Humdinger” Conner, well-known for his prominent snout, winning the radio race by a nose.

E.P. was quite the mischief maker. He could tell anything with a straight face, or, if on the radio, a solemn demeanor.

Jeff Hoover tells a great story about when Eddie Paul did Russell County basketball games for the Hoover family's radio station years ago. E.P. and Scott Hamm were doing the game at McCreary County, and when they got there, the telephone line was down and they weren't going to be able to transmit. Eddie Paul didn't let Scott know this important fact, and proceeded to set up and start talking as if they were on the air.

Something happened in the game and E.P. said Coach Allen “Feldhaus is mad as hell!” Scott waved his arms and motioned for Coop not to use that language on the airwaves.

E.P. went on, and a short time later, a questionable call occurred, and he proceeded to use very strong and prohibited language, with his comrade telling him all the while, “You can’t SAY that over the air!” Finally, after Eddie Paul had gone completely wild with outrageous talk, and Scott had gone to pieces listening, E.P. revealed to him that they weren't on the air and hadn't ever been. We don't think they rode back to Russell County together.

E.P. attended various government board meetings for Albany’s WANY, and if the news was slow he would make news, coming up with something controversial to make the news himself. In ways, he was brilliant. He could stir things up better than anybody in the county. He would take a position on nearly every issue, and nearly every political race. He was among the plaintiffs who filed suit to challenge the first version of the county occupational tax. He also filed a lawsuit to set aside magisterial redistricting. Things would happen if E.P. was around. And you always knew where he stood on every issue.

If he was on your side, there was no better ally. If he was against you, you were in for a hard fight. He might decide he was mad at you and you'd never understand why. You just had to treat him like he wasn't mad and then you’d see him and everything would be fine. But you'd soon know who else he had decided to be aggravated at instead of you.

He got the name "Little Wheel" at Robert York's store at Seventy Six, where most people in the community acquired their nicknames. As he grew older, that evolved into "The Big Wheel." He feared no man but had a heart of gold, doing a tremendous amount of good works for the people of Clinton County.

E.P. was commissioner of the local softball league and was known to get a bit riled up at the ballfield. He served many years as Republican election commissioner and also served as Republican county chairman. His brother Billy Joe was property valuation administrator for 31 years, but Eddie Paul ran for office only once, for magistrate, as an independent. It’s too bad he lost. It sure would have been a quite eventful four years of Fiscal Court meetings.

One of his favorite lines was about “the sad hammer” being put on someone due to their bad conduct. That term is a Clinton County original, a phrase he coined and promulgated. 

In trying to recall the origin of the phrase, we recall him telling the story of a young, naïve fellow who hadn't been seen in a while because he had been in jail. When asked how he fared in court. The poor fellow advised that everything seemed to be going very well for him until the judge brought down his gavel and ordered him to jail.

As the fellow colorfully put it, “I was doing real good until that ol’ judge brought that sad hammer down on me.”

And that’s how a memorable, unique local phrase was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment