A great part of the Spirit of 76 Celebration was the package of historical presentations at Mount Union Christian Church by children of the late Rodney and Jean Piercey.
Faye Piercey Dalton and Phyllis Piercey Amonett, both retired teachers, helped plan the program, and Faye acted as a sort of mistress of ceremonies. "It's been such an adventure getting this done," she said July 3. "It's been a privilege to grow up in this place . . . Community makes you who you are, family makes you who you are."
Faye displayed and discussed the black silk "flapper" dress of one of her grandmothers, Zada Thomas Brown, "something very special to me." She said hemlines rose in the 1920s, and "She was independent, oh, so very independent, and I thnk this dress is just a reflection of who she was. She was probably the first woman in the community whose skirt went that far up. . . . She was just such a blessing to me, and I hope I treat my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren in the same way I was treated because it was a very special relationship."
![]() |
| Faye Dalton and Phyllis Amonett dressed in period costume. |
Faye and her cousin, poet and retired teacher Rudy Thomas, recalled that after the Mount Union church was destroyed by one of the April 3, 1974, tornadoes, the community saw to it that it was quickly rebuilt.
Phyllis P. Amonett, at 79 the oldest of the siblings, said "I feel like this community has built me and who I am and how I raised my kids." She recalled attending the church with the Thomas, Wells, Orton, Conner and Wray families, and "We always had a relationship. . . . They built your character, they built your community, and sometimes they built your work, because you worked with them all the time. We worked in tobacco, we worked in gardens, we worked in the hay. . . . We worked putting up food, we chopped kraut, we dried apples and tomatoes. I can't remember everything that we did do, but our No. 1 hate . . . was the ironing. My mother sprinkled, and she ironed everything from the underwear on down."
![]() |
| Vickie P. May at the wheel (Photos by Al Cross) |
In college, she said, "I followed a path that included working in pioneer crafts and then after that I followed a path into industry and I retired from Toyota in Georgetown after 25 years as a mechanic."
She explained that weavers often made "linsey-woolsey," with linen threads (from flax that grew along streams) in one direction, because wool was too heavy to wash and dry and the combined fabric lasted much longer. The wheel to make thread from flax was much smaller, she said.


No comments:
Post a Comment